Well hello! Just as soon as I say I want to blog more, I blog even less, good work team! haha There are several reasons for this. I recently found out that I'm taking on a LOT more responsibility at work. I'm currently the technician, or assistant to the director of our core facility. She just announced that after Thanksgiving she will be taking another job, because of the lack of security in this job. Our lab is based solely on grant funding, and the grant will run out in 18 months. At this point there is no plan in place for her job or mine for that matter. She basically feels like she is being forced out of this job, and is taking another research coordinator job. Those of you who know me, know that when I am asked, "How do you like your job?" In the first words out of my mouth I say, "my boss is great!" I'm a very people based person, and unfortunately a lot of how I feel about things is dependent on who I'm interacting with; thus, I feel like one of the best parts about my job is leaving. On top of how great she has been, this carries a lot of responsibility. I no longer have a PhD to answer my questions. I am the end of the road. I do ordering, billing, PR, everything...there is so much that I don't know. Needless to say, it is a bit overwhelming to be 23 and running a Research Lab.
Things have just been kinda crappy lately too. It is tough to blog when you don't seem to have anything good to say. I had some tests come back abnormal, so now they need to do a biopsy. Yes, a biopsy. My doctor doesn't seem very worried about it, but it still isn't a fun process or something I really want to hear. My student loans are entering repayment, and only through the grace of God and one of his wonderful angels am I even able to make the payments. I have so many I don't even know HOW to pay all of them! Ridiculous, my own mess I got into I realize, but like a 2 year old, "I don't wanna do it!" One of my friends at work, has been gone for awhile because his dad is dying of cancer. It has been a slow agonizing process, and of course we are all helpless. K didn't pass his defense...he needs to work on his writing and therefore will not graduate as planned this December. And of course, my med school aps are requiring a letter of recommendation from a physician. This is a requirement I already knew about, however I was not aware of the caveats. It cannot be a physician you know personally, it has to be one you have shadowed or volunteered with/for. I have been volunteering for years, but never with a physician. I shadowed several physicians years ago. What I don't understand, is how anyone, physician or not, is supposed to write you a letter of rec without knowing you personally?! So those are on hold too right now. I had a 300$ repair to my car come up suddenly that was apparently a "safety issue." Bah! So, all that said, with the holidays around the corner I need them to come with this big black cloud just loitering above me.
Now that I have sufficiently whined, there are some great things going on too. The holidays ARE around the corner. We have had decent weather that will welcome a little snowfall, and also make it so we are less likely to flood in the spring. I was able to take a break for veterans day, and also shadowed a physician so hopefully he will be able to write a letter of rec. In less than a week I am getting on a plane to go see my sister and brother-in-law for a much needed vacation and family time. I plan to go see my friend A this weekend, and have some girl time. For the first time ever, it looks like I may be done with my Christmas shopping before Thanksgiving! I usually don't even start before then! Can you tell I'm anxious for the holidays?! I'll actually get to enjoy them this year both financially and with no classes they should be much less stressful. I hope to do a blog on the differences I have noticed from college life to my "real world" life. There have been very few large changes (partially because my time off is temporary). For instance, I still hate reading. I will read my cosmo from time to time, and I have a book that I'm all of 40 pages into, but beyond my nightime reading, there isn't any reading. I still think the major factor is that I hate the quiet too much. If I'm reading I'm not interacting with people or heaven forbid there not be noise! haha
Oh! Those of you who do read this already know, but it is still something good that is going on. I have now lost 16.6 pounds and thus have hit my 10%. Onward ho to goal! Though I don't necessarily have one yet, but I have an idea of where I want to be. WW is introducing some major changes in their plan, so I'm hoping that gives me a motivation boost. I'm going to Zumba tonight. I have gone once before to a different place. It is definitely fun, but to me a smidge overrated. I honestly think it is just Latin Line Dancing, haha. I sweat, and it is what I would call a "cheat workout": a workout that doesn't seem like a workout. Usually this refers to things like yoga, but this is definitely more fun. I also have the mentality though that if I'm going to workout, I am really going to workout. I'm going to make it worth the tortuous time! This I don't think is a major calorie burner (though I don't actually know haha), but what it lacks in maybe calorie burn, it definitely makes up for in fun. Oh my gosh, and the time I went there was this woman there that seriously had this belly dancing wrap on with like metal beads that made noise as she moved. Yeah, it was ridiculous. We were at the Y! haha and the noise was obnoxious, yet comical.
I have been volunteering. Lately I took a pause because of some gastrointestinal distress from some Indian food I ate. What I like about volunteering beyond the obvious is that it forces me to do things that I normally wouldn't even consider. Since I'm there for the patients, I do whatever they want. One Sunday, we made jewelry! That's right team, I did a craft! What is even more surprising is that I was moderately successful! I made earrings! I'm still pretty proud of that. They are kinda cute too. I'll try to remember to take a picture to prove it haha.
Hopefully since I'm going to see N soon, and even A I will actually have some pictures to put up. I honestly haven't really taken pictures since this blog started. I'm so cool. So hopefully this blog will get interesting any moment now!
Somehow I missed reading this AND missed hearing some of this, despite the fact we talk a lot. When is your biopsy? How is K doing? I feel so bad about his defense, that's such a bummer. When I Zumba to my dvd I burn around 600 calories. No joke, I can prove it when you come, haha. Strange our bosses end up leaving at the same time. 16.6 is a lot of weight, I'm so proud of you!!! That's incredible. I can't wait to see you! Love you!
ReplyDelete