Thursday, December 2, 2010

Taxi Please

So is there some unwritten rule that in order to drive a cab you need to A) be a horrendous driver (and this is coming from me of all people!) B) have just as terrible social skills and C) I think we all know that you need to be scuzzy. I have had the pleasure of riding in two separate taxi rides in the last week and needless to say I think I'm good for awhile, haha. Ride one was going home from the airport. I see a man holding up a sign saying he has a taxi, and say, "I'll take a ride please." To which he says, "I'm the van out there I'll be there in a second." Doesn't help me with my bag, but then gets two more scuzzy guys that also need rides. AWKWARD! So he takes the one guy to the hotel, and then tells me and the other guy that we will have a flat rate. No big deal, but in fact awkward, especially because I couldn't tell which one had the smell emanating from him.
Taxi ride two was to pick up a car from the shop (why a taxi? Idk, definitely wasn't my idea). This time I was lucky, the man had a unique marinade himself including a gnarly ponytail. He was by far the worst driver. He sat at an intersection (next to a stop light) for forever trying to make a left turn (being charged while we wait of course) then suddenly pulls out in front of a car on the snowy/icy roads. Then he proceeds to swerve into lanes, making abrupt stops and accelerating equally as abrupt. I turn to K to discuss dinner plans, when he asks "what are you two talking about?" really? Obviously we weren't talking to you...haha awkward So we told him we were trying to figure out dinner and he goes into this whole tangent that I presume he thought was funny, "Oh, after you get the car have to figure out the next thing. I have to figure out what I'm in the mood for. No I don't feel like pizza. What can I get for the same price?..." so on and so forth, chuckling as he does this. It was so weird. In hindsight I should have tuck and rolled a the nearest stoplight haha.
Well I have more to talk about than Taxi's. I went and visited N and J for Thanksgiving and had a ton of fun. It was nice to just get away for awhile. I'm not going to talk too much about it now though because I want to add pictures.
This was my first week on my own at my job. It has been an interesting week, but not nearly as bad as I expected. Today we had another person make an appointment to use the equipment online, who definitely needed help yet didn't contact me or my former supervisor... Really? Then called me surprised because the lab "was closed" and no one was there. Well the lab wasn't closed, the lights were just off genius, and no one was there because you didn't email anyone. I just don't get it...How have they survived in the gene pool? The good news is that I'm negotiating for a raise as I'm taking on more responsibility. Of course that means that I really do have to do more work, I can no longer use the excuse that that isn't what I'm getting paid for, haha. Awesome work ethic I know!
Before Thanksgiving I gained 2 pounds, but at my last weigh in when they unveiled this whole new and improved program, I lost 1 pound. It is definitely slow, but I feel like I'm back on track now, and this new program should be a smidge easier though there is a learning curve.
I'm thinking about quitting my other job. I love the family that I work for, but lately I have had more reasons to quit than to stay. I'm annoyed with the company, I live a lot further away from the site now, I don't necessarily need the extra money, and I kinda feel I work enough as it is. I kept it because I wanted to stay loyal to the family and the company, to bring in some extra spending money, and because my full time job expires June 1st when I'll be unemployed, except for this other job. I feel the need to keep it as a "just in case" but I am not sure it is worth it anymore. So I'm hoping that I can negotiate my "leave time" when I negotiate my raise. We shall see. Well I had better sign off for now and earn that raise I want haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment